Friday, March 11, 2011

Sheehan's Syndrome and Life Threatening HypoGlycemia

Yes, you can not be Diabetic but have HypoGlycemia

Hypoglycemia is another condition in my pre-Sheehan's Syndrome life that I was not aware of the effects. 

You can have Hypoglycemia and not have Diabetes. I have become all too mindful of the fact that my Endocrine System does not function correctly, and my HypoGal system continues to have the domino effect. 

I have also learned that due to the lack and imbalance of cortisol, growth hormone, estrogen and testosterone my body may go into a Hypoglycemia state.

So what exactly is Hypoglycemia?(1)


Hypoglycemia is also referred to as, low blood glucose or low blood sugar. 

Hypoglycemia occurs when blood glucose drops below normal levels. 
Glucose, an important source of energy for the body, comes from food. Carbohydrates are the main dietary source of glucose. Rice, potatoes, bread, tortillas, cereal, milk, fruit, and sweets are all carbohydrate-rich foods.

After a meal, glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream and carried to the body’s cells. Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps the cells use glucose for energy.

If a person takes in more glucose than the body needs at the time, the body stores the extra glucose in the liver and muscles in a form called glycogen. The body can use glycogen for energy between meals. Extra glucose can also be changed to fat and stored in fat cells. Fat can also be used for energy.

When blood glucose begins to fall, glucagon—another hormone made by the pancreas—signals the liver to break down glycogen and release glucose into the bloodstream. Blood glucose will then rise toward a normal level.

In some people with diabetes, this glucagon response to hypoglycemia is impaired and other hormones such as epinephrine, also called adrenaline, may raise the blood glucose level. But with diabetes treated with insulin or pills that increase insulin production, glucose levels can’t easily return to the normal range.

Hypoglycemia can happen suddenly:
It is usually mild and can be treated quickly and easily by eating or drinking a small amount of glucose-rich food. If left untreated, hypoglycemia can get worse and cause confusion, clumsiness, or fainting. Severe hypoglycemia can lead to seizures, coma, and even death.

And, my most telling symptom is when my body craves sugar. Oh, how certain times of the day I crave sugar! I don't crave chocolate but jelly beans, red vines and hard candy. I love sugar! We have all read how terrible sugar is for us. But, unlike most people my body needs more sugar and salt than the average person.

However, once I get going on my candy bends it can be difficult to gauge a cut off point. My body screams, more, more, more, Jelly Belly's. Even through I know, I have had enough. Oh, the guilt each day as I look at my flabby stomach as I consume candy and inhale my salty potato chip. I keep telling myself it's ok; your body needs this?

I try to remind myself when my body is craving salt just to take a salt tablet. The same goes for sugar. I try just to have one or two pieces of hard candy, but I usually end up finishing a box of candy and a bag of extra salty potato chips.

The battle with my Sheehan's Syndrome disease continues forward. I am trying to make better choices. I know a chocolate covered fiber bar would be more beneficial than my candy fix. So, during my next market trip, I will pick up my much-needed junk food and some fiber bars.

(1) This information was written with the permission of the NIDDK

You can click on HERE to see a photo of The Endocrine System in a human body.

You can read more about Sheehan's Syndrome at HypoGal Website or HypoGalBlog 

If you belong to Facebook, and you would like to help spread the word of Endocrine issues, then please click, "Like" on my FaceBook page. A big Thank You for your support!

I sincerely appreciate and welcome, all comments, suggestions and feedback. Please feel free to email me at Lisa@HypoGal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment